Fresh Start for the Vegetable Garden: Fall 2017 Plant!

I gotta say, my favorite things about being in the garden include frisbee with my favorite fuzz bucket and watching my plants grow.

But your plants have to be planted before they can grow!

So let's talk plants.  


-What Was Planted Where

&

-Overall Success Rate

On the right side of the garden, I decided to plant all root vegetables.  These have to be grown from seed.  From right to left, starting at the compost heap, I planted a "patch" of bunching onions, two rows of rutabaga, and a narrow "patch" of carrots in line with the rosemary.


On the left side of the compost heap, I planted three rows of radishes and carrot seeds interspersed (not seen at this angle).  I also planted a row of onions.  A little later in the month I planted another two rows of mixed carrots and radishes and then about four rows of onions.  Eventually, I planted a wide patch of carrots (not seen here).
When it came to planting on the leaf side of the garden I was able to buy a lot of transplants.  This was not fully my intention but I got a little carried away at the garden center.  From seed my first three rows were turnip greens, arugula, and kale.


Within a week or two the radishes, especially, had started to appear.  Some of my other vegetables, not so much.  I had an especially difficult time with the onions and at the present time I only have a handful of onions growing.  Some of the rows I have replanted 3 times!

I also had some difficulty with the rutabaga, which may have been due more to the heat we had in the early part of the fall more than anything else.




As I went along replanting, I tried to be more mindful of keeping plants watered and just being patient with things.  Seeds are much more delicate than transplants, at least in my experience.

So that's how the seed planting went.  Be on the lookout for my next post where you can learn about which seed varieties did well and which ones I might kick to the curb.

Comments

Popular Posts