Spring 2018: Three P's: Planning Part 2 of 2

  This is an extensive update to my original post from 2015.  Check it out!


Planning the Garden:

I left off with my last post on considering crop rotation.  But just to recap:

These are the steps I take when planning the garden:

1)  Consult NC Vegetable Planting Guide (that's the yellow chart in the picture)
2)  Check out my garden journal
3)  Consider the crop rotation
4) Look at what seeds I already have
5) Then do some shopping!





3)  Consider the crop rotation


Now, to be honest, I've been doing this a little mixed up.  I have been religiously planting fruits, roots, leaves, legumes.  I guess because it rhymed or maybe I made some changes a few years back. But it was supposed to be Leaves, Fruits then Roots then Legumes (Optional: next flowers then a cover crop).  (You can read more about this process here and here)  I am really glad that I have revisited this post because this changes EVERYTHING!  EEEP! I'm a little embarrassed right now, if I am being honest.  Guess I'm still a beginner after all, huh?

I think from here on out I'll probably do a little bit of both processes (and use that as my excuse in case I mess up again).

So, in the fall, I planted leaves on the left and roots on the right.  According this rotation I'll need to do fruits on the left side of the garden and legumes on the right.  In the past, I might have skipped ahead from fruits to more roots, but that will mess me up in the summer when I want to plant my fruits.  What's a girl to do?

In order to preserve the rotation, I would need to do spring leaves on the left and spring legumes on the right.  However, after a lot of soul searching and considering what grows when best seasonally I am going to do legumes on the left and leaves on the right.  That will help me in the fall have a better crop rotation.  Plus, I get the summer beans I will really want.
  
So my list is:  

Legumes (all peas):
  • wando
  • melting sugar
  • early perfection
  • green arrow
  • more peas?
  • something?

Leaves:
  • lettuce
  • kohl rabi 
  • cauliflower
  • broccoli
  • turnip greens
  • who knows? 
Extras:
  • Potatoes (because I love spring potatoes)
  • Leeks  (because I could not find any this fall)
  • Asparagus (because I've always wanted to grow them)
You'll notice that I have 6 items in each list.  This is because I have my garden divided into six 6-foot sections on either side.   

This is also a good time to think about Companion Planting.  Here is a link to the chart that I am referencing.  It was prepared for Cooperative Extension. 


Companions for:
  • Peas
    • Carrots, Radish, Turnip, Cucumber, Corn, Beans
  • lettuce
    • Carrot, Radish, Strawberry, Cucumber
  • cabbage family 
    • Aromatic Herbs (but not dill), Celery, Beets, Onion Family, Chamomile,
      Spinach, Chard
Extras:
  • Potatoes (because I love spring potatoes)
    • Beans, Corn, Cabbage Family, Marigolds, Horseradish
  • Leeks  (because I could not find any this fall)
    • Beets, Carrot, Lettuce, Cabbage Family, Summer Savory
  • Asparagus (because I've always wanted to grow them)
    • Tomato, Parsley, Basil

Between my list and my highlight favorites I think I am going to be pretty good to go!  I also left myself some wiggle room because I really like to try to use what I've got, as far as seeds go.  Which brings me to my next part...

Step Four and Five: Look at what seeds I already have Then do some shopping

 Everyone stores their seeds differently.  I stick with the same system I've been using for years.  It's a 12 section plastic folder that I had from my student teaching.  I have it broken down by months in the planting season (January to May then August to November).  I put the seeds that I want to use in the section I will need them.  I often shift my cool weather seeds back and forth from the front to the back of the divider.




I see that I already have some cauliflower, broccoli, and lettuce that I did not plant this fall as well as some turnip green seeds left over from the fall planting.  With regards to the peas, I have some wando, early perfection, melting sugar snow pea, and green arrow (some of which I saved myself).  Some seeds have a really long shelf life but I try to use up all my seeds within a year or two if possible.  After that I know I'm going to have some difficulties.   



As I do most of the time when I shop, I only buy what I need.  I didn't really need much in the way of seeds for the spring.  But in the summer I will need fruits where I planted leaves and leaves where I planted legumes, if I stick to the rotation.  It gets awfully hot and buggy to do summer time leaves (generally speaking) and I had really hoped to do summer legumes like beans and cowpeas.  I'll have to think on all that before I make my next gardening move of a final purchase.

Figuring this all out was a lot of work but it was totally worth it and very fun.

Be on the lookout for my next updated posts on the garden Preparation and actual planting.

Take care,

Rebecca

Thanks for checking in!

Anyone else planning to plant this weekend?  

Comments

Popular Posts