What's Cooking: Potato Salad

Hello All,

I hope you are doing well as you read over my pages here.  It's been a while since I've shared a recipe with you and seeing as I dug up the last of my potatoes last week it seems like a good time to share a potato recipe.

So far with my potatoes I've made a gigantic batch of potato salad as well as some boiled potatoes.  I'm going to share my potato salad recipe with you today.

The best thing by far about fresh potatoes is that they are so tender.  There is nothing quite like them.  Digging them up can be a bit of a pain (I plan on planting them in barrels or something like that next year) but it's great to know that I've grown them without preservatives or pesticides or any of those sorts of things.  
So, without any further ado, let me share with you:

Potato Salad!

First things first - make sure work surfaces and ingredients are nice and clean.  

Potatoes come directly from the ground so give them a generous scrub and remove any bad spots.  My potatoes were really fresh so this was not an issue.

Trim them, if needed, so they are more or less uniform for more even cooking.

Add them to a pot and cover with water and bring to boil for about 14 to 15 minutes.


Mayo did not wish to be photographed.
Then of course do your mis en place.  

For my potato salad I subbed some herbs and seasonings more or less to my taste.

I used salt and pepper, dried minced onion (because I'm a cheater), Italian Seasoning, dill, sour cream and mayo (it's around there somewhere :P ).

Once the potatoes are tender, let them cool.

As they cool, mix your dressing ingredients (why yes, this is a dressing) into a bowl and then coat the potatoes.  Chill and enjoy!

I got my original recipe from my Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook which, in the world of Southern Cooking, is to a southern hymnal as the Joy of Cooking is to the Bible.  I'm not kidding.

Anyway, when you are all done, this is what you end up with!  Only a lot more :)

Sour Cream and Dill Potato Salad

*Adapted from the Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook

Serves 8

3 pounds unpeeled new potatoes, washed and trimmed
2/3 cup mayo
1 (8 oz.) carton of sour cream
2 teaspoons dried dill (or 2 T. fresh)
2 teaspoons dried minced onion (or 2 T. fresh)
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

  • Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 14 to 15 minutes or until tender; drain and cool to touch.
  • Meanwhile, combine mayo and next 6 ingredients.  Add to cooled potatoes and toss gently.
  • Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 8 hours.
  • Enjoy!
Well, that's all folks!  I hope you are staying warm and your garden is productive.

Take care,

Rebecca


Comments

Popular Posts