The Last of the Radishes and the Freeze

Hi All,

Hope that you are doing well this Monday.  I know that I definitely am.  

Work is calm this week (I hope it stays that way) which has given me that extra bit of energy that I need to go out and work in the garden.

One of the top pieces of advice I can give anyone who gardens is to check the weather.  I have become relentless in my quest to see what is coming and today was no exception.  When I checked today, of course, I saw that for the next two nights there was going to be a freeze.  Immediately I knew that I needed to get my butt outside and go harvest the bok choy.  


Washed and Ready!
The last freezes we've had have done major injury to the plant.  Not enough to kill it, of course, but the leaves and stalks that remained were inedible and turned into a nasty mush.  Today, I'm hoping I've been a little bit smarter.  I cut my bok choy way back, leaving the stem and few of the baby leaves.  Then I covered them up for the evening. 

While I was out there I decided to pull the last of the radishes.  I mostly had scraggly tops with roots that never really formed.  I fed those to Rabitha (our pet rabbit) along with an assortment of weeds I pulled from the leeks and Brussels sprouts.   

Still no peeking from any of the seeds that I planted last weekend but I'm patient.  At least, I'm trying to be.

Anyway, here's the menu for the week:

-Chicken Stir-Fry with Bok Choy, Radishes and Peppers over Brown Rice
-Hamburger Stroganoff over noodles
-Quiche - maybe with "sun-dried" tomatoes (preserved at home)
-Tortellini Soup - with frozen tomatoes and homemade chicken broth

I hope to get these recipes linked up soon, so check back for another What's Cooking Wednesday.

What's in your garden now?
What's your menu looking like?

Take care!

-Rebecca

Comments

Popular Posts