End of March Update

Although today is quite chilly, the weather outside has overall been ideal and even a bit summery.  It's funny how I was looking for my warmest coat last night but just two days before was out in a tank top and shorts.

Things in the garden are hopping along.  Some of my spring garden seedlings have had a bit of a rough time because of the coolness.  I think that for next year, I really do need to invest in some sort of protective covering.

I think I can close out my fall garden knowing that for whatever reasons, brussels sprouts and leeks were not necessarily a huge success for me.  They grew but not to their full potential.  I think that next time I plant them I will have to look at the quality of my soil as well as other factors, like the amount of water they received.

Further down in the garden, my rutabagas are doing great. These pictures are actually about a week old and between now and then I definitely see that I have some that are ready to be eaten - which is great!

You can see here my last little row of leeks.  They certainly are trying, which I appreciate from them.
 One of my friends came over last week and together she and I cleaned up these rows and planted some strawberries.  From front to back we've got carrots, onions, strawberries, and peas, then arugula, radishes and rutabaga (sort of in that order).

A close up of the sugar snap peas.
My friend also helped me move all the old twigs that I had laid out last summer.  The leaves fell off of them which I hope has improved the soil and they also provided a natural weed barrier.
Later I tilled up the dirt, planted two rows of potatoes as well as some spring vegetable seeds.  I also did some weeding and laid out covering between the two row of peas that I had in the back corner.  Those seeds are fairly old so some of them germinated but not all that many.














Overall I am pleased with things in the garden.  As far as the outdoors goes I need to be watchful of my seedlings and be ready to lay out some covering between the rows to block weeds.  I also might want to transplant in some lettuce or other quick spring crop.  I have some seeds for things like corn, tomatoes, and sunflowers that I need to plant as well.

I've got some seedlings growing, too, and I hope that later this week I can update on the seedlings as well as some of my garden related birthday presents I was given.

Hope all is well with you!

Take care,

Rebecca

Comments

Popular Posts